Apr 4, 2008

Polenta pie

Delicious!

A while back I took note of this great polenta pie @ Culinary in the (desert) country, and I just had to try it.
I have tailored it to my taste a little bit, and made a smaller one ( just for 2 : ), and I love it!
(Great job Joe!!! Thanks for sharing! )
Can’t wait to try it with different cheeses, and spinach. So many different ingredients can be played with, in this polenta pie. There are no limits. I thought of adding eggs for the appearance, and eggs can be added like this to many dishes, as they go well with just about anything. Can’t wait to present this on my next diner party!

Here is how I made it (adapted from Culinary in the (desert) country )

Crust:
1 ½ cup water
1 Tbsp oil
½ cup corn meal
¼ Tsp salt (or to taste)
1 Tbsp parmesan

Preheat oven to 405 F, make polenta on stove top as usual, mix all ingredients in a pot, bring to boil while constantly mixing, reduce heat and keep mixing until it just about starts separating from the pot.

Transfer to a baking dish ( I have used small spring form pan, just love baking in them). Even it out and bake for about 20 minutes.
In the meantime make the filling by combining following ingredients in no particular order.

Filling:
8 oz ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
¼ Tsp basil
¼ Tsp salt (or to taste)
Ground black pepper, to taste, I just sprinkled a bit
I have added chopped scallions, this is an option you can change.
Next time I am going to add spinach.

Polenta 1Polenta 7Polenta 4

Reduce heat to 350 F, transfer filling into crust, even it out, if you like, embed 5 or so hard-boiled eggs in circle into the pie, sprinkle with some mozzarella, and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Broil for a minute to get a golden top! Enjoy!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so good. My kids are big hard boiled egg fans. This looks like something that the whole family would enjoy!

Anonymous said...

ohh, this looks lovely! an interesting way to use boiled egg. it's very appealing too. hmm, maybe i should dare to try this. your recipes are all great. why don't you try to post them at tastespotting.com? more people will find you then.

Melita said...

Thank you ladies!

Farida -I do post on tastespotting ;)
Sometimes it takes a while for it to post, and sometimes it doesn't go through.
You should try this one, it's simple, and it tastes great!:)

Shelby said...

I have awarded you with the E award :)

Antonio Tahhan said...

i love how this dish looks and sounds! i love polenta and hard boiled eggs!

Mansi said...

wow, that pie looks totally out-of-this-world!! great idea and presentaion:)

Pixie said...

Hi there, found you through Farida- what a great blog! Such interesting food; shall add you to my reader and stop by again.

This dish looks particularly wonderful!

Melita said...

Welcome Pixie! Thank you! :)

Maja Babić said...

Tested! Great look, perfect taste... Thanks for receipe.

Mmmhhhh kolaci said...

This looks so pretty. I didn't try to make this one yet but my sister did and all her girlfriends loved it, so I printed the recipe for them :)
You are quite popular in our circle...keep on posting!

Melita said...

Mmmhhhh kolaci - Thank you! Hvala!
I'll try my best to keep posting!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS